{ art & other musings }

...

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tarsem Singh & Eiko Ishioka

The Cell
Director: Tarsem Singh
Costume Design: Eiko Ishioka
Cinematography: Paul Laufer


Eiko Ishioka Interview

What kind of design research is involved in preparing to design for a film like The Cell?

A: When I began designing these costumes, I did not consult a single visual reference. I let my mind roam free and after a repeated process of trial and error, came up with some basic ideas.

Is there any project that you wish to do or particular person you wish to work with?

A. If the request is from a director with the talent and courage to experiment and take risks with visual expression–people like Francis Ford Coppola, Paul Schrader and Tarsem–I’d like to continue doing production design and costume design. I’ve always been careful about choosing projects, and have only accepted ones that I truly wanted to do. In the future, I’d love to be able to strike a 50/50 balance between projects that I’m asked to do and those that I initiate myself. If I had the opportunity to direct and design films like "The Red Shoes" and "Kwaidan," I’d be very interested.

(source: Fata Morgana-communitylivejournal.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment