{ art & other musings }

...

Monday, February 4, 2013

Thomas Newman

Composer
"I remember a teacher once asked me, what makes music sad? What a brilliant question. His answer was, it takes on the physical qualities of something sad. Meaning if it's sad, a melody will move in step-wise manner. It will tend to be slower as you are when you're sad; it takes on the physical characteristics of an emotional state. Something in the music rings and carries you back to a memory you have that elicits a feeling. I guess what's wonderful about music is that it's utterly abstract and yet has a great kind of sinuous, subjective emotional reaction. I like the idea that music can be dimensional, that it's not necessarily playing what's there."
- Thomas Newman


"I call [Thomas Newman's] style minimal, he does a lot with sustains and atmospheres and pinpoint notes and chords which are just so effective..." Bill Bernstein (Music Editor)

No comments:

Post a Comment